Tuesday, March 17

Bellator signs new light heavyweight champ Liam McGeary to contract extension

Emanuel Newton and Liam McGeary

Emanuel Newton and Liam McGeary



The biggest win of Liam McGeary’s career has turned into a lucrative one.


McGeary (10-0 MMA, 7-0 BMMA) went the distance for the first time in his pro career this past month and came out on top against light heavyweight champion Emanuel Newton (25-8-1 MMA, 8-2 BMMA) at Bellator 134 to take the title.


In response, Bellator recently announced the unbeaten Brit has signed a multi-fight, multi-year contract extension with the promotion.


“I’m excited to have signed this contract extension with Bellator,” McGeary stated. “I know that I’ve got a target on my back as champion, but I’ve never been one to walk away from a fight. Whoever (Bellator President) Scott Coker decides to put across the cage from me next, it doesn’t matter. To me, their name might as well be ‘Victory No. 11.’ I look forward to working with Coker and Spike TV for years to come.”


McGeary became Bellator’s first British champion with the win, as well as the first British champion in a major MMA promotion. In the fight, he set a Bellator record with 11 submission attempts. He couldn’t put Newton away, but won the fight with a pair of 48-47 scores and a 48-46. (After the fight, Newton tested positive for marijuana.)


After his win, McGeary told MMAjunkie Radio he was flush with emotion after realizing he had won the title.


“I thought I’d be bouncing all over the place, but this massive rush of emotion came over me,” he said. “I’ve never had to deal with anything like that. People ask me how I would feel when I got the belt wrapped around my waist – I’m happy. I’m ecstatic about being the world champion. But I think in the moment, it was just ‘Sh-t. I’ve actually f-cking done this.'”


McGeary’s first title defense hasn’t been announced, but already he’s been called out by UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz (18-11-1 MMA, 2-0 BMMA), a former light heavyweight champion.


“To fight Tito would be an absolute honor, because this dude’s a legend in the sport,” McGeary told MMAjunkie Radio. “But for him to say that he’s going to capture the belt and defend it once, that’s him living in his little dreamworld. I’ve got the belt, and it’s time for me. There’s no defend it once and lose it – I’m keeping a hold of that.”


For complete coverage of Bellator 134, check out the MMA Events section of the site.




Filed under: Bellator, News

No comments:

Post a Comment