Tuesday, March 17

Joanna Jedrzejczyk: I broke Carla Esparza before we fought at UFC 185


Joanna Jedrzejczyk defeated Carla Esparza in the co-main event of UFC 185, which went down last weekend (Sat., Mar. 14, 2014) in Dallas, Texas, with one of the more impressive performances in title fight history.


See it again here.


Using her exceptional striking skills to get the job done, Joanna managed to knockout "Cookie Monster" in the second round, walking away with the strawweight title in the process -- just three months after Carla defeated Rose Namajunas to become UFC's first-ever 115-pound titleholder.


But according to Joanna's comments on The MMA Hour (via MMA Fighting), she may have won the fight long before the two women ever stepped foot inside the Octagon, thanks to her pre-fight trash talk.


"I think I break her," she said. "She didn't know what to expect. Maybe she thought that I am crazy. I am really nice. But not in the cage."


Joanna likely confused the ex-champ, as one minute she was dismissing her, and the next she was giving her some cookies. Despite the ill will prior to the bout, Jedrzejczyk says she has no hard feelings toward Esparza and offered her some encouraging words after the loss.


"I told her I like her," she said. "She's still good fighter. I hope we're gonna meet each other in the future. That's all."


The undefeated Muay Thai expert now heads to her home country of Poland to face the bevy of media obligations that await her, as her fellow countrymen are eager to greet her once she touches down to celebrate her newly-won title.


And while she, or UFC for that matter, has no clue as to who her first title defense will be against, Joanna is enjoying her moment.


One she still can't fully grasp.


"I feel like I'm still sleeping," she said. "I still can't believe. Every day I'm more happy. It's coming into me. It's good. I'm happy."


No comments:

Post a Comment