Saturday, April 18

Jon Jones on Phil Davis: 'Good luck crumbling me like a cookie from all the way over there'


Phil Davis had some choice words for Jon Jones back in the day, but was never able to step in the cage with him to back them up. Now that he has left for Bellator, Jones had a parting shot for him.


UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones popped into teammate Andrei Arlovski's Google Hangout last night, and had some interesting comments about Phil Davis along with an update about a possible move to heavyweight. Jones has flirted with a heavyweight move forever now, with many believing it's all but an eventuality since he has come close to cleaning out his division. He doesn't see it that way though, saying that he'd look at some heavyweight superfights but will be a light heavyweight for a while still:



"As I get older I'm maturing a lot more. My weight cuts are becoming a lot more easy. I'm learning how to eat better. I'll probably be at light heavyweight for a long time."


"I'll probably go to heavyweight for one or two superfights at some point and then get back down to light heavyweight.



He was also asked about Phil Davis, who recently signed with Bellator. Davis said before a bout with Anthony Johnson last year that Jones was like a cookie and that he would crumble in the palms of Davis' hand. "Mr. Wonderful" lost that bout with Johnson and never got his shot at Jones, but the champ didn't forget what he had to say:



"Oh my goodness. Mr. JV, himself. To be honest, I'm happy for him if he's going to make more money over there. Ultimately, it's about providing for our families. It's a job at the end of the day. If he's going to be treated better over there, good for him.


I do believe the competition is not as stiff at Bellator as the UFC so I think he'll definitely be a top three guy in the world now. Good for him. Maybe he'll even win it. To be a world champion and to make a little more money, that's a win-win. But good luck 'crumbling me like a cookie' from all the way over there."



Jones will take on the aforementioned Rumble Johnson at UFC 187 on May 23rd.


No comments:

Post a Comment