Friday, April 24

The Game Has Changed for C.B. Dollaway Heading into UFC 186

If a fighter is fortunate enough to find longevity in his/her career, there are inevitably going to be changes that come about. For C.B. Dollaway, there have been several elements that have arisen throughout his time competing in mixed martial arts, and those additions have altered his priorities drastically.

Where the former Arizona State University wrestling standout was a self-assured 20-something coming off the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter, the man that will step into face Michael Bisping at UFC 186 this Saturday night hardly resembles the same person. From a physical standpoint, The Doberman's game has evolved into a well-rounded attack with finishing power on the feet and slick submission skills once the action hits the canvas.

Those attributes have significantly enhanced since lingering injuries were put to rest near the end of 2013, and his work in the two years since has validated this notion. Save for a controversial split decision to Tim Boetsch that could have gone either way at UFC 166 back in October 2013, the Power MMA representative has won three of his four additional showings since returning from injury. Over this stretch Dollaway has shown grit and putaway power, and he attributes his progress to tuning in and truly becoming a student of the game.

"I've always had power in my hands; I just think I didn't know how to deliver it before," Dollaway told Bleacher Report. "Now, I feel like I know what I'm doing in there. I know how to slip punches. I know how to move my head. I know how to set things up. Before I was just going out there and playing Rock'em Sock' em Robots, throwing and hoping I wasn't the one to get knocked out. I go out there now with a game plan and feel far more comfortable than I did when I first got started.

"This is the best I've ever felt going through camp and actually coming into the fight. I had a lot of nagging injuries for a long time, but those are all far behind me, and I feel great. It's been a long time since I felt like this coming into the actual fight week. I have my weight on point, and I started working with a nutritionist, George Lockhart. I made sure everything is dialed in for this fight, and I'm not taking any shortcuts. I'm doing everything I can do to guarantee success on Saturday night."

While progress led Dollaway to back-to-back victories to kick off his 2014, it also generated enough momentum for him to land a bout with one of the biggest names in the division in Lyoto Machida.

The Dragon was coming fresh off his five-round war with Chris Weidman at UFC 175 in a bout where he came up short of claiming the 185-pound crown. When Dollaway and Machida met at Fight Night 58 in December, it was a crucial matchup, as the 31-year-old Michigan native had a prime opportunity to catapult himself into title contention with a victory.

Unfortunately for Dollaway, a perfectly placed body kick would end the bout in abrupt fashion, and the Arizona transplant would be forced to fly home from Brazil dejected. As a seasoned veteran of the game, he wasn't sure if the loss to Machida would be his only shot to stay in the hunt for an elite position in the middleweight ranks, but when the UFC called offering a bout with Bisping in Montreal, Dollaway's focus immediately snapped back into place.

"This fight is another huge opportunity and a way for me to get back on track in a fast way," Dollaway said. "I stumbled against [Lyoto] Machida and had a very frustrating and disappointing loss, and I wasn't sure what was going to come next. When I got the phone call to fight Bisping it was a huge uplifting moment for me because it meant I was going to get another shot at putting another big name under my belt. 

"It's definitely a good matchup for me. Bisping always comes forward and throws a lot of punches, but I have to believe he's going to leave a lot of openings. In those moments I'm going to be able to utilize some of the skills I've developed over the last three years. I may even have some new skills I will showcase in this fight. Of course I always have my wrestling background to help mix things up, keep him honest and keep things interesting.

"Opportunities don't come very often in this game, and to get two in a row is a blessing," he added. "I'm going to get in there and make the most of it."

And where Dollaway's trajectory has been fueled by his ability to adapt to an ever-changing game, the same rings true for his life outside of the Octagon as well. In recent years he's become a husband and father, and having a family of his own has changed his perspective on the road ahead, much the same as it has for many fighters that have come before him.

Rather than fighting for personal gain and glory under the bright lights of the sport's biggest stage, he's now battling to ensure his family will have a bright future. While at one time all the hard work and sacrifice meant something different, now everything invested into finding victory on fight night is done for family. 

"My thoughts are to win this fight and get home," Dollaway said. "It's getting harder and harder to leave the country and leave my family behind. On Tuesday morning I had to leave out at 3:45 a.m., and my wife and daughter took me to the airport. Saying goodbye to them was very hard, and I'm looking forward to getting that victory and getting back to them.

"Things have definitely changed from that perspective. I have people depending on me now, and I want to go out there and do the best I can to secure a great future for them. That's a huge motivation for me. I want to keep getting those wins and keep cashing checks." 

 

Duane Finley is a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report. All quotes are obtained firsthand unless noted otherwise.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment