Tuesday, April 14

Video: Watch super heavyweight 'Huggy Bear' land some spinning sh-t



Filed under: Featured, News, Videos


At 330 or so pounds, Chris Barnett is bound to turn some heads, but despite six consecutive knockouts wins – including this doozy from this past weekend – “Huggy Bear” is arguably flying under the radar.


The 28-year-old made the most of his opportunity at the April 11 Inoki Genome Fight 3 event in Japan.


In the second round of his tournament fight with Emil Zahariev (22-6-1), Barnett fought off fatigue to land a perfectly placed spinning back kick to the gut. The blow forced Zahariev to verbally submit midway through the round.


With the surprising speed and agility he’s displayed in a super-sized frame, Barnett is usually a crowd favorite. But this past year, he spoke to MMAjunkie about the difficulty of finding opponents.


“Not to toot my own horn, but I think it’s the factor that I’m a tough riddle to solve,” Barnett said. “Guys won’t fight me with four weeks of notice or even six weeks. If they don’t get a solid camp in, they won’t want to fight me.


“You take me to the ground, I’m decent there. Standup, I’m decent. I’m a jack-of-all-trades. Instead of being a king in one certain thing, I can do it all. So them trying to get ready for me, they realize they can’t knock me out or take me down. I’m not going to say they’re scared, but on their behalf it’s better to actually not fight me.”


However, barring a move down to the 265-pound limit (where he’s fought in the past), Barnett is unlikely to find much in the way of quality competition due to the super-heavyweight division’s notorious lack of depth.


Still, he said he’s open to all-comers.


“I’ll fight anybody, anywhere,” Barnett said. “I’ll fight a bear. I’ll fight a shark. I’ll fight a camel. Whatever it is, I’m down.”


Check out his latest triumph, which marked his 11th knockout in 13 career wins, above.




Filed under: Featured, News, Videos

No comments:

Post a Comment