Monday, August 3

Aljamain Sterling Makes Bantamweight Hit List, Wants Bryan Caraway First

Aljamain Sterling is looking to start a fight.

All truths being told, the Serra-Longo product is actually angling at a few potential dust ups, but there is one opponent in particular Aljo wants to get his hands on next: Bryan Caraway.

The 23-year-old New York native has set his sights on stepping into the Octagon with The Ultimate Fighter alum, and Sterling has started a public campaign to make that happen.

The way he sees it, there is no other matchup on the current bantamweight landscape that makes more sense than a tilt between him and Caraway. Both are coming off solid performances over tough competition, and with the majority of the major players in the 135-pound ranks sidelined with injury, there are few options available for fighters in the top 10 collective.

Sterling believes facing Caraway is the logical next step for both of them, but so far it's a fight the Washington state native seems to have very little interest in.

Nevertheless, Sterling isn't concerned with what Caraway wants and doesn't want, as he's determined to make the fight happen.

"I don't know what I have to say to ruffle enough feathers for the UFC to make this fight because it's the only one that makes sense," Sterling told Bleacher Report. "I'm not even trying to be disrespectful. I just believe I'm better than [Caraway] in every single aspect of the game. I'm better at grappling and wrestling, and my striking is worlds beyond what his is. I'd like to slap him around a little bit and collect an easy paycheck.

"He's calling out Michael McDonald who is still hurt and on the sidelines. I don't understand anything about that. He's saying he doesn't want to fight anyone ranked below him, and I don't think he realizes I'm ranked above him. He needs to take off his roller blades and let's go. He's trying to find the quickest exit to skate out of this."

While putting a target on Caraway is the next order of business on Sterling's agenda, it is far from the only item in the talented young bantamweight's plans. His ultimate goal is to take the 135-pound divisional crown, and Sterling knows he'll have to knock off a few of his peers in the upper tier of his weight class in order to get that done.

Then again, Sterling could also see himself earning a title opportunity with another impressive win under his belt, but the greater scope of that situation is out of his hands.

What isn't out of Sterling's control is his assault on the top tier of the division he calls home. The highly touted prospect turned in that particular label with a victory over Takeya Mizugaki at UFC on Fox 15 back in April in a fight that earned him a place in the coveted top 10 rankings. And while some fighters like to quietly settle into their new environment, Sterling has chosen to take a different route.

He's not interested in flying under anyone's radar and wants every one of his peers in the 135-pound division to know he's here to stay.

"I have a hit list," Sterling said. "I want to fight Bryan Caraway, Johnny Eduardo and Urijah Faber. Michael McDonald would be on that list too. But he's hurt, and I'm not going to stoop to calling out someone who is injured. 

"I want to get my hands on Johnny Eduardo, but that guy only fights once every three years. This guy talking about how he's going to break my jaw like he did [Eddie] Wineland, and I'm like, 'Okay buddy. Sure thing.' I think he's a little bit anxious and running his mouth because he really doesn't want the fight with me. He knows what will happen. I'll twist him up like a little pretzel and squeeze his head until it pops off like a champagne cork.

"Those are the guys on my list, and I'll take out any one of those guys on any day as soon as the UFC is ready to book it," he added. "I think one more win will put me next in line for a title shot. If Dominick Cruz is still hurt and Raphael Assuncao isn't back from injury yet, I think I'm the next guy if I can get one more win under my belt. I'm looking to come back in October, and I'm ready to get after it."

 

Duane Finley is a featured columnist for Bleacher Report. All quotes were obtained firsthand unless noted otherwise.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment