Wednesday, September 2

MMA Fighter Submits Would-Be Robber in Bizarre Scene in Brazil

(Warning: Video may contain NSFW language)

Monique Bastos, a Brazilian mixed martial artist, was looking to spend her Tuesday night with some friends in Brazilian jiu-jitsu class. If two muggers knew who she was, they probably wouldn't have tried to steal her cellphone.

Alas, the pair of thieves approached the group on a motorbike and demanded their belongings. Check out the video above to see just how badly it panned out for one of them.

Bastos talked about the incident with MMAFighting.com's Guilherme Cruz:

I was going to my jiu-jitsu training when they arrived on a motorcycle and said they wanted our phones. I tried to hold my phone, and I realized they were not armed. When they tried to escape, I lifted the rear wheel of the bike and they fell on the ground. The guy who took my phone ran away, but I was able to get the other one.

Unfortunately, the strawweight fighter said she has been in similar situations before.

"I've been through this a few times before, and it's the second time I fought back," she said. "There were two guys, and they were using knives, but I was able to use my jiu-jitsu and get my phone back. It's a huge risk, but I did it to defend myself and my friends, so I used what I learned."

Bastos has six MMA bouts to her name as well as some matches in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and muay thai. While those skills have served her well on the streets, she is currently between promotions right now. Hopefully, she can lock up some triangle chokes in a ring soon and not just on the street. 

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment