Sunday, March 22

Josh Koscheck admits MMA is 'changing', but not ready to announce retirement after 5th straight UFC loss


Josh Koscheck says that MMA has evolved a lot from when he first started, but as he suffered his 5th straight defeat inside the UFC, he isn't ready to call it quits just yet.


Josh Koscheck suffered his 5th straight loss in the UFC, with two straight coming in the last month. It was also his final fight on his current contract. While for most guys that would automatically mean a UFC exit, Koscheck does have a long tenure with the company.


"I do have a soft spot for the TUF 1 guys," Dana White said during the post-fight press conference. "Josh and I will talk in a couple of days, and we'll go from there."


Related: UFC Fight Night: Erick Silva vs. Josh Koscheck full fight video highlights


For his part, Koscheck did evaluate his performance and admitted that the sport is changing and evolving from what he experienced when he first entered the promotion ten years ago.


"I'm not happy with where I'm at right now. I'm 37 years old, and the last couple of fights on my contract haven't been great," Koscheck said. "But I took this fight on short notice, and I knew I could come in and make this a fun fight. It didn't go my way tonight, but I showed up, and I fight every time. Today is just Erick's day."


"Being 37, I told Dana that I would like to fight someone my own age for once. Maybe they can make a senior citizen division in the UFC"


"There aren't many of those left," White quipped.


"I've got a good long career since The Ultimate Fighter 1, and it's been a fun ride," Koscheck said. "This sport is changing and this guy is getting better. These young guys are just getting tougher. I feel like my skills are there, I just need to put it together."


While a lot of people have clamored for his retirement after seeing that he hasn't won a bout in over three years, Koscheck wasn't ready to make that call just yet.


"I can't make that decision right now," he said about possibly hanging it up after a 5th straight loss. "I'll go home and talk to the old lady and we'll see what happens."


"I do have a lot of stuff going on outside the UFC. I'm pretty busy when it comes to other businesses and things, so I think I will take the right time and make the decision when it comes.


It's a good thing that Koscheck is taking the proper time to consider such a life changing matter. You don't really want to see people making rash decisions to hang it up after all the emotions from a fight, only to come back a few months later.


Seeing that he also has other ventures and interests outside the cage though, I personally feel that he should hang it up and just ride off into the sunset. I personally have no interest in seeing him get destroyed by these younger fighters, but the decision is obviously up to Koscheck and his family.


Either way, it's been a good 10-year run in the UFC. He has brought us several memorable bouts against some of the greatest champions in the sport during that time, and no one will be able to take that away from him.


No comments:

Post a Comment