Wednesday, March 18

Jussier Formiga: I can grapple with any UFC flyweight, Henry Cejudo included


And the scrappy Brazilian wouldn't minding testing his skills against the Olympic gold medalist in Mexico City.


The best 121-pound wrestlers in the world couldn't stop Henry Cejudo from finishing first at the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing, China, but perhaps feisty Jussier Formiga can prevent him from obtaining gold with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).


According to the Team Nova Uniao standout, who recently spoke to MMA Fighting, he is more than confident he can grapple with the best fighters in the flyweight division, Cejudo included. And if he had his way, he'd like to take on the undefeated (8-0, 2-0 UFC) mixed martial arts (MMA) prospect to prove his worth.



"I watched him fight Cariaso, and I believe it would be a big fight and a big opportunity for me to fight an Olympic champion. It would be a great fight, no doubt about it. I want to fight in late May or early June. I can't wait to get back in there. I'm getting crazy without fights. I will fight whoever they want. I will be ready for anyone. I just want to get back in there and fight."



He continues:



"(Cejudo) had a great performance. He fought well and dominated Cariaso, but I already expected he would do that to Cariaso after I watched (Cejudo's) first fight in the UFC. The only guys that grappled with me were Cariaso and Zach Makovsky, and I did well against both of them. I can grapple with anyone in this division and do fine, no doubt. Oh, Scott (Jorgensen) also went to the ground with me, and we all saw what happened."



Cejudo earned his second win under the UFC banner at UFC 185 by outpointing -- and out wrestling -- Chris Cariaso this past weekend (Sat., March 14, 2015) in Dallas, Texas.


Recap here.


As for Formiga, he was set to face John Moraga last December at UFC on FOX 13, but an unfortunate injury forced him to bow out of the fight. With no opponent lined up and eager to get back into the swing of things, Jussier is looking to place himself in a high-profile fight.


The Brazilian already has a time and place in mind, too, as he eyes a return to action at UFC 188 on June 13, 2015 in Mexico City. And he wouldn't mind Cejudo tagging along for the ride, adding some more Latin flavor to the star-studded event in the process.


This fight make sense to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment