Friday, March 20

Maurício Rua considering drop to 185 and going back to Rafael Cordeiro


Looking to get back to his winning ways, Maurício Rua is leaving his options open. The former UFC light-heavyweight champion is considering a drop to the middleweight division and also going back to his old coach, Rafael Cordeiro.


Unsure of what his next career move will be, Maurício Rua is leaving his options open.


The former UFC light-heavyweight champion has found himself 1-4 in his last five fights, being finished in all but one of them and has even considered reaching out to an old friend from his Chute Boxe days: Kings MMA head coach, Rafael Cordeiro, responsible for the career turnarounds of current UFC lightweight champion, Rafael dos Anjos, and UFC's interim heavyweight champion, Fabrício Werdum.


"I’m considering training under Rafael Cordeiro again, I’m actually still thinking about it." Said Rua, who nowadays trains at Vila da Luta, to Combate. "I have spoken to my manager and coach, Eduardo Alonso, and he gave me the green light. I still need to talk to my family and to Rafael, so nothing is 100% certain. Going for a camp in Los Angeles is just something that might happen".


Recently linked to a rematch with Antônio Rogério Nogueira at UFC 190, Shogun once again said nothing is written in stone, since he may also consider a drop to middleweight.


"I still think about dropping to 185, but now there’s the Lil’ Nog fight possibility. I’m willing to do whatever my team thinks is best for me, though. I’m a soldier and do as I’m told. If they think the drop is viable, I’ll do it. Dropping would be better for me, but it isn’t that simple. I don’t have any opponents on my mind, that’s something I leave to the UFC. I don’t pick them, and I would gladly fight Lil’ Nog or anyone else the UFC puts in front of me".


In his last showing, Rua was quickly knocked out by Ovince St. Preux in his home country of Brazil in November. The Brazilian has also been busy coaching his team on the fourth season of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil, which will air in April.


No comments:

Post a Comment