Monday, February 1

14-Fight UFC Veteran Benson Henderson Jumps Ship for Bellator

The MMA free-agency game has officially changed with the announcement that former UFC and WEC lightweight champion Benson Henderson is joining Bellator MMA. Henderson officially broke the news on his personal website Monday morning.

"I'd like to officially announce my move over to Bellator MMA," he said in a statement. "I'm beyond excited for this next phase of my career, it's a big move, like any move when switching employers or jobs after having worked somewhere for such a long time."

While Bellator has scooped up other UFC fighters in the past, most notably light heavyweight contender Phil Davis and former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson, Henderson is the first elite-level, championship-caliber talent to leave the UFC behind.

He is currently riding a two-fight winning streak at 170 pounds, with victories over Brandon Thatch and Jorge Masvidal. Not only that, but his recent losses to Donald Cerrone and Rafael dos Anjos both generated controversy.

Bellator is currently in need of new blood at both 155 and 170 pounds, and Henderson could easily challenge Will Brooks or Andrey Koreshkov for either divisions' title. Past the divisional champions, there are numerous other interesting opponents for "Smooth" in Bellator including Michael Chandler, Douglas Lima, Marcin Held and Paul Daley. 

Despite the move, Henderson remained grateful to the UFC. "I'd be remiss to not thank Dana White and Lorenzo Fertita (sic) for the opportunities they presented me," he said. "You guys have helped me change my life for the better and to be able to provide my family with the things I didn't have while growing up."

Unfortunately, there are no details yet on Henderson's Bellator debut. Keep an eye on Bleacher Report for more updates as they come.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment