Friday, July 31

Bethe Correia's Mom Offers Her Own Fight Advice: Break Rousey's Jaw

Apparently, Ronda Rousey isn't the only one with a fight fan for a mother.

Bethe Correia, Rousey's opponent in the main event of UFC 190, said her mom, Tiana, recently had some pretty hard-nosed advice for her daughter, according to a report from Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighting:

My mother told me...‘Please, finish this fight in 10 seconds. Knock her out, break her jaw.' It’s a mom thing. No mom wants to see a daughter get beat up, get hurt, and Ronda’s mom thinks about it. It’s easier to go for a takedown and lock an armbar, you don’t get hurt. My mom wants me to go there, throw the first punch, Ronda goes down, and I go back to her arms. It’s normal.

Correia made the comments Thursday at a media event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where the two will fight Saturday for Rousey's women's bantamweight title.

Famously, Rousey's mother, AnnMaria De Mars, likes to get involved in her daughter's strategizing—and sometimes even backs up Ronda during public trash-talk sessions.

De Mars was a high-level judoka in her own right, and she introduced the sport to Rousey, who went on to win an Olympic bronze medal in the discipline.

Ronda recently told reporters during a media conference call that her mom was unhappy with Rousey's plan to prolong the bout in order to punish Correia for, interestingly enough, comments Correia made about Rousey's family in an interview with Portuguese-language website Combate (h/t MMA Fighting). It seems De Mars would rather Rousey finish the fight as soon as possible. Said Rousey of her mom's opinion, per Brent Brookhouse of MMA Junkie:

"She chewed me out. She wants me to end it as quick as possible still. I promised her that I’m going to be fine. I’m not going to take any damage. If it goes any longer, it’s just because I’m punishing her more."

No matter how long it lasts, Rousey (11-0) is a massive favorite to successfully defend her title against Correia (9-0). 

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

1 comment: