Tuesday, September 29

Jon Jones Pleads Guilty to Leaving the Scene of an Accident

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon "Bones" Jones pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident Tuesday, but the 28-year-old superstar managed to avoid jail time.

Jones entered the plea in an Albuquerque, New Mexico, courtroom with UFC President Dana White in attendance, according to TMZ. The former No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world showed remorse for his actions when given the opportunity to speak:

"I am here to accept full responsibility for what happened, for my actions," Jones said. " ... I'm hoping that you give me an opportunity to redeem myself."

Jones also released a full statement regarding the situation, via EAG Sports Management:

With regards to today's decision made by the court, I am very happy to now be able to put this incident behind me. My actions have caused pain and inconvenience in the lives of others and for that I am truly sorry and I accept full responsibility. I have been working hard during this time away from my sport to grow and mature as a man and to ensure that nothing like this happens again. I have learned a great deal from this situation and I am determined to emerge a better person because of it. I apologize to those who were affected by my actions in this incident and I am hopeful that I will be given the opportunity to redeem myself in the eyes of the public, my family and friends as well as my supporters. I am not sure what the future holds for me but I plan to continue to do the work needed to be productive and successful in every aspect of my life.

The UFC released a statement as well, specifically noting it will conduct an independent investigation of the plea agreement:

The UFC organization is aware that Jon Jones reached a plea agreement with authorities in Albuquerque, New Mexico this morning stemming from charges associated with a motor vehicle accident earlier this year. As a result, UFC, through Las Vegas-based law firm Campbell & Williams, will thoroughly review the agreement before discussing Jones’ possible reinstatement to return to competition.

More information will be made available following completion of this review.

ESPN's Brett Okamoto noted Jones' sentence will require him to follow guidelines laid forth by the judge:

Jones was involved in a hit-and-run car accident in April that left a pregnant woman injured. The UFC subsequently suspended him and stripped him of his title.

The Rochester, New York, native's status with the UFC is in limbo, but now that his legal issues are largely behind him, there is little doubt that the focus will now shift toward his eventual reinstatement.

Jones owns a career record of 21-1, and it remains to be seen whether he could meet the winner of the Oct. 3 Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson fight for the UFC light heavyweight title, depending upon when or if his indefinite suspension is lifted.

White has a difficult balance to strike in terms of making an example of those who break the law and ensuring he has as much star power at his disposal as possible.

Jones is one of the biggest stars in the UFC alongside Ronda Rousey, and assuming he is truly ready to change his ways in the wake of the hit-and-run as well as a positive drug test in January, it shouldn't be long before he is back in the Octagon.

 

Follow @MikeChiari on Twitter.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment